This is Part 2 of my comprehensive walkthrough and review of Scribe 4.0.
(Check out Part 1 – Keyword Research.)
After completing the Keyword Research section, I moved on to the Scribe Content Optimizer, to see how well I had optimized for my chosen keywords for my Simple SEO for YouTube Videos blog post.
First, I was required to fill in my Post Title and Meta Description in my SEO plugin below the edit window. I use Yoast’s WordPress SEO plugin for this.
Interestingly enough, I had forgotten to do this for this blog post, which was posted some time ago – something I always do. Scribe 4.0 is already forcing me to be more mindful in my publishing. Once I did that, I could click the Analyze button.
The Initial Analysis
The first thing that comes up is a site score of 52. Luckily this isn’t high school chemistry class, because rather than getting an F, Scribe informs me that “this page is a good match for your site for terms like youtube and youtube video.” The yellow color of the score means I’m not doing too badly – I wouldn’t want it to be red.
Keep in mind that this score varies from page to page on your website, because it is comparing that page in context with your site. According to the very long webinar I listened to, any score above 50 is pretty good.
Also featured on the page is a Search Metric diagram, which plots the keywords Scribe picks on the graph based on search metrics and copy style. I got one keyword over in the “A” section, but I left behind “SEO” in the “B” section. I’d like to improve that. Most of the ones hanging out down in the D section aren’t relevant, so they’re exactly where they belong.
I can scroll down to see the keywords Scribe felt were significant in the post.
Then I clicked the Page Analysis tab – not too shabby for a first go-round – I got an 88, and it’s an encouraging green color.
Scribe suggested that I might want to work “SEO” into my content a few more times, and that I needed at least one hyperlink to the page to relevant terms.
The tags tab will suggest items to turn into Post Tags, which it will (thankfully) automatically add to your post if you like. I edited these for relevance and let it create the tags, although I don’t really use them on my site because they don’t seem to be important to Google. This was more of an, “Um, OK” kind of thing for me.
The Help tab contains a document with best practices and definitions of some SEO terms that may be unfamiliar to those who are learning.
Improving my score
I followed the suggestions Scribe made, and found 2-3 more locations where I could work in the phrase “SEO” along with YouTube, and added “video” one extra time. For the hyperlink, I used the Link Building tool (discussed in Part 3 of this review), which found another post I had written on embedding YouTube videos into a WordPress website. I linked to the older post from my example post, and vice versa, and ran another analysis.
Lo and behold, I dragged my site relevance score up by two points with the changes. I suspect it was due to crosslinking the other YouTube post, because it would have told Scribe that this isn’t the only time we discuss YouTube.
The page score went from an 88 to a 100 by working the word SEO in a couple of times, and linking to a post on how to embed a YouTube video. When I saw that big green 100 come up, I grinned like a kid.
So far, this has taken me less than 5 minutes (a bit longer to get the screen grabs) to make some easy, minor changes to soup up the SEO of a single page of content.
In Part 3, I’ll go over the Scribe Link Building tool – which is SUPER important for those who have more than 5 blog posts and can’t remember what they’re all about!